I have two major lines of research. The first line of research is devoted to understanding the tactics that people use to make sense of others (e.g., mindreading, perspective-taking, stereotyping) and how the brain mediates social interactions. The second identifies strategies for managing attention and coping with indecision, and explains why the mind is driven to wander despite heroic attempts to task it. I use both brain imaging (fMRI) and traditional experimental techniques to investigate these interests.
- Causal Attribution
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Organizational Behavior
- Person Perception
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Cloutier, J., Mason, M. F., & Macrae, C. N. (2005). The perceptual determinants of person construal: Reopening the social-cognitive toolbox. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88, 885-894.
- Hebl, M. R., Xu, J., & Mason, M. F. (2003). Weighing the care: Patients' perceptions of physician care as a function of gender and weight. International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders, 27, 269-275.
- Macrae, C. N., Hood, B. M., Milne, A. B., Rowe, A. C., & Mason, M. F. (2002). Are you looking at me? Eye gaze and person perception. Psychological Science, 13, 460-484.
- Macrae, C. N., Quinn, K. A., Mason, M. F., & Quadflieg, S. (2005). Understanding others: The face and person construal. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Mason, M. F., Banfield, J. F., & Macrae, C. N. (2004). Thinking about actions: The neural substrates of person knowledge. Cerebral Cortex, 14, 209-214.
- Mason, M. F., Cloutier, J., & Macrae, C. N. (2006). On construing others: Category and stereotype activation from facial cues. Social Cognition, 24, 540-563.
- Mason, M. F., Hood, B. M., & Macrae, C. N. (2004). Look into my eyes: Gaze direction and person memory. Memory, 12(5), 637-643.
- Mason, M. F., & Macrae, C. N. (2004). Categorizing and individuating others: The neural substrates of person perception. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 16, 1785-1795.
- Mason, M. F., Norton, M. I., Van Horn, J. D., Wegner, D. M., Grafton, S. T., & Macrae, C. N. (2007). Response to comment on “Wandering minds: The default network and stimulus-independent thought.” Science, 317, 43c.
- Mason, M. F., Norton, M. I., Van Horn, J. D., Wegner, D. M., Grafton, S. T., & Macrae, C. N. (2007). Wandering minds: The default network and stimulus-independent thought. Science, 315, 393-395.
- Mason, M. F., Tatkow, E., & Macrae, C. N. (2005). The look of love: Gaze shifts and person perception. Psychological Science, 16, 236-239.
- Quadflieg, S., Mason, M. F., & Macrae, C. N. (2004). The owl and the pussycat: Gaze cues and visuospatial orienting. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 11, 826-831.
- Mitchell, J. M., Mason, M. F., Macrae, C. N., & Banaji, M. R. (2006). Thinking about others: The neural substrates of social cognition. In J. Cacioppo (Ed.), Social neuroscience: People thinking about people. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
- Advanced Seminar in Social Cognition
- Leadership Development
- Leadership in Organizations
- Managerial Negotiations
- Research Methods
Malia F. Mason
Uris Hall, Room 720
New York, New York 10027
United States of America